Presented by Arne Hofmann, PhD and Maria Lehnung, PhD
Friday, March 26, 2021
4.5 credits: EMDRIA, Psychologists, LCSW, LMFT, LMHC, LPC and other NBCC approved masters level clinicians
Start time: 9:00 AM ET • 8:00 AM CT • 7:00 AM MT • 6:00 AM PT – Detailed Schedule Below
Livestream/delayed viewing: This option includes participation via livestream during the training and/or access to the recorded training for 90 days following the live event.
Program Fees (includes 4.5 CEs):
$179.00 by March 7, 2021; $199.00 after March 7, 2021
$30 discount for clinicians working for non-profits (30+ hours a week)
Full refunds until March 7, 2021; then 80% until 1 week before training, no refunds after March 19, 2021.
LIVESTREAM/DELAYED VIEWING: When you purchase the livestream/delayed viewing (all one option), BeaconLive will provide you with instructions on how to access the program including tech support contact info. You can then watch any part or all of the program while it is happening and email in questions as it occurs. The pre-recorded program will be available within a few days after the live version. You can then watch the program whenever you’d like for 90 days (with a $40 per month extension available if you want more time). At the end of the program, you will see prompts to a quiz to demonstrate your participation. Once you pass the quiz (unlimited chances), you’ll have access to a downloadable CE certificate.
Severe depression is one of the most common mental disorders and it affects between 15-20 % of the general population during their lifetimes. Although many interventions exist, the treatment results are often less than satisfactory. High relapse rates (ranging at 50% after two years), unsatisfactory remissions and suicidal risks are among the major problems.
A growing number of studies show that stressful life events play a major role in sparking and sustaining depressive disorders. EMDR therapy and its capacity for reprocessing past events is increasingly being recognized as a powerful intervention tool approach the treatment of depressive disorders. In the last 10 years, Hofmann and colleagues within his focused research study group have completed 10 randomized controlled studies that show that EMDR is at least equal to CBT treatment in depression by various measures. In addition, EMDR has been demonstrated to result in more complete remissions than CBT, which shows its superior capacity to reduce the risk of relapse. This clinical and research team developed and tested specific EMDR approaches to treating depression consistent with the standard EMDR protocol. This led to the development and validation of the DeprEnd protocol for EMDR treatment of depression.
This clinically focused workshop will provide an initial overview of needs for effective treatment for depression and then a focus on the practical application of the treatment manual and procedures for the DeprEnd protocol. The workshop will explain the five steps of the protocol and discuss the “how to do” practical steps in detail. The benefits and ways to implement the “Symptom event map” tool will be described as a structured way to work with negative belief systems. Clinical case examples will be included.
To inform participants with information including:
- An overview of current guidelines in the field of mental health for the treatment of depression and the severe shortcomings in treatment efficacy
- An emerging trend in research studies showing the importance of addressing stressful life events in the treatment of depression
- The unique suitability of EMDR therapy depression treatment because of its capacity to address memories which trigger and maintain of depression
- A summary of the findings of 10 Scientific (RCT) studies reporting that EMDR therapy is at least equivalent to CBT in the treatment of unipolar depression (Equivalence).
- A depiction of the development of the EMDR DeprEnd protocol by the workshop presenter’s European EDEN research team over a 10-year period including successful treatment evidence.
And, to teach participants how to clinically administer the DeprEnd protocol including how to:
- Follow the specific five step procedures in the protocol
- Use the “Symptom Event Map” for treatment planning
- Identify and use two methods to focus on the memory networks behind negative belief systems
- Recognize and treat depressive and suicidal states in depressive patients
- Use materials provided in the workshop handouts to implement the DeprEnd protocol
- Note: Multiple case examples will be provided
Learning Objectives- Participants will be able to:
- Describe 3 ways the AIP model changes the EMDR treatment approach to depressive disorders
- Describe components of a practical treatment plan using the EMDR DeprEnd protocol
- Describe the clinical procedural steps in the DeprEnd protocol
- Describe the importance of current stressors within the DeprEnd protocol
- Describe reasons and strategies for clinically addressing negative belief systems
- Describe features of and the importance of working with depressive and suicidal states
Schedule for Virtual Training (all times Eastern):
9 – 10:30 am
- Understanding depression in the light of new research.
- Understanding pathogenic memories and EMDR therapy approaches to depression treatment
- EMDR research findings in treatment of unipolar depression- What is known and what can be improved
15 minute break
10:45 – 12:15
- Presentation of the DeprEnd protocol for EMDR treatment of depression (Five step protocol).
- Overview and conceptual framework
- Details on application of Steps 1 and 2 of DeprEnd protocol illustrated with clinical case examples.and opportunities for participant questions
1:15 hr for lunch
1:15 – 3:00 pm
- Steps 3, 4 and 5 of DeprEnd protocol The three other key steps in the DeprEnd protocol with clinical case examples and opportunities for participant questions
3:00 – Close
About the presenters:
|Arne Hofmann, PhD
Dr. Arne Hofmann is specialist in psychosomatic and internal medicine. He is head of the EMDR-Institute Germany and co-leader of an EMDR Trauma hospital near Cologne. He learned EMDR in 1991 during a residency at the Mental Research Institute in Palo Alto, California. He introduced EMDR into the German speaking countries and founded the first psychiatric inpatient units for victims of trauma in Germany. Dr. Hofmann is a founding board member of EMDR-Europe, a founding and honorary member of the German speaking society of traumatic stress disorders (DeGPT) and a member of the German national guideline commission for the treatment of PTSD. He is currently teaching, researching, and publishing internationally in the field of psychological trauma, EMDR and depression. He has received several scientific awards, including the EMDRIA Award for outstanding research in 2015 and 2018 and was awarded the German Federal Cross of Merit. (Dr. Hoffman speaks English fluently)
|Maria Lehnung, PhD
Dr Marial Lehnung is an accredited EMDR Europe trainer. She was a researcher and lecturer at Christian-Albrechts University at Kiel, Germany in the field of neuropsychology and developmental Neurobiology. Dr. Lehnung currently works as a Clinical Psychologist in private practice, teaches Clinical Psychology, and provides EMDR consultation. Dr. Lehnung has always had an ongoing interest in developing new and creative ways of applying EMDR. Together with Arne Hofmann and others, she developed and researched the DeprEnd protocol for treating depression with EMDR. (Dr. Lehnung speaks English fluently.)
EMDR Advanced Training and Distance Learning, LLC (EMDR ATDL) maintains responsibility for this program and its content in accordance with EMDRIA standards and is approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (ACEP #6709) to offer masters level clinician CEs. Advanced Psychotherapy Trainings (APT) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. EMDR ATDL and APT maintain responsibility for this program and its content. NY CEs by arrangement.
Registration questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Program content questions to email@example.com
Click here for other EMDR Advanced Training and Distance Learning Programs